Definition of lumpish in English:
1Roughly or clumsily formed or shaped: those large and lumpish hands could produce exquisitely fine work
More example sentences
- Its waiting list is described as ‘very, very long’: it seems that the great and the good of Scotland are anxious to join in whatever goes on in that lumpish piece of neo-classical building in Buccleuch Street known as the Archers' Hall.
- A vintage white Ambassador - that lumpish fifties-era sedan still found throughout India's hinterland - creeps along within the bright human throng.
- He studied antiquity in immense detail, in search of a basis for reforming modern architecture, which he thought had become lumpish and boring.
1.1(Of a person) stupid and lethargic.
- Once wide awake, even enterprising, they slowly become dilatory, leaden, slow, laggard, and lumpish.
- Silent and lumpish, he seems to live chiefly through the random fixations of his senses.
- Yet lumpish Jane's fairytale romance is left stranded on the roadside by the self-centered pragmatism of robbers on the run.
- Example sentences
- The two young lieutenants nodded lumpishly and gaped at each other in stunned and flaccid reluctance, each waiting for the other to initiate the procedure of taking the prisoner outside and shooting him.
- Not even his pleasure in lumpishly reliable movies can prevent him noticing the black hole on the near horizon.
- Michael, the Human Onion, a useless fairground attraction, sits lumpishly in a tent, failing to impress his young audience.
- Example sentences
- The filth, disease, and lumpishness which are evident in the wartime photos of her family, and actually took a visible toll on her ancestral embodiment, are experienced in the daughter and granddaughter's psychological life.
- There's something about seals and sea lions - what we perhaps see as a lumpishness or loutishness, or the lack of excitement as they doze - that does not immediately endear them to humans.
- Its a combination of his personal habits, his lumpishness, and his unwarranted conceit that simply repulses me.
Words that rhyme with lumpishfrumpish, grumpish, plumpish
Definition of lumpish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.