Definition of lunule in English:
1.1An oval depression in front of the beak on the outside of many clams.
- Therefore, the possession of the anterior, unpaired lunule in ambulacrum III, is a plesiomorphic character for the Mellitidae in general.
- This type of lunule is completely unknown in any other echinoid.
- Other measurements of test length, lunule lengths, widths, positions, apex position, and petaloid lengths were made from both the fossil and extant Leodia material using dial calipers.
1.2A small area above the antennae on the front of some kinds of flies.
- A small median plate lying between the ptilinal fissure and the bases of the antennae is named the lunule.
- The frontal lunule is a small crescent shaped piece immediately above the antennae, which is characteristic of the second suborder, the Cyclor rhapha.
Definition of lunule in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia