Definition of Lutheran in English:
1A follower of Martin Luther.
- The region was a mixture of Calvinists, Lutherans, Catholics and Anabaptists.
- But as the Sea Beggars got stronger, they started to persecute Catholics, Anabaptists and Lutherans.
- In the post-Reformation period the church divided into Calvinist, Lutheran, and Anabaptist camps, and the issue has gone unresolved until the present day.
1.1A member of the Lutheran Church.
- Among Catholics, Anglicans, Lutherans, Presbyterians, Disciples of Christ, and Methodists, an infant is baptized into the body of believers and of Christ by sprinkling water on its head.
- Although most ethnic Hungarians belong to the Reformed church, Lutherans constitute the country's largest Protestant denomination.
- Those who remained religious fell into three separate groups: Laestadians, Lutherans, and free church Protestants.
adjectiveBack to top
1Of or characterized by the theology of Martin Luther.
- There's that understanding of the Word of God, and the performative, effectual nature of the Word of God, which under-girds Lutheran theology and Lutheran worship and Bach's music.
- Where are the limits and weaknesses of Lutheran theology?
- Compatible, perhaps, with a Lutheran theology of the cross, Peters's view of the cosmic dance is cruciform.
1.1Of or relating to the Lutheran Church.
- In the Lutheran churches with which Anglicans are now in full communion, confirmation-laying on of hands-has historically been administered by presbyters.
- Anglican and Lutheran churches in Canada have approved a full communion agreement modeled on a similar accord drafted by their sister churches in the United States.
- The substantial differences between Calvinist / Reformed and Lutheran views divided Protestants in England as much as on the continent.
- Example sentences
- He's blasted the Blairite champagne socialists and denounced dog owners, tattooed goths, and the Presbyterians who believe Lutheranism is a form of crazed hedonism.
- The Protestant Reformation created not only Lutheranism but its archrival, Calvinism, which now joined the Roman Catholic and Greek Orthodox Churches.
- Disgusted with the bland, palliative Lutheranism of his day, he stresses duty, self-sacrifice, and total commitment.
- Example sentences
- He continued to press forward with the Lutheranizing of Strasbourg thereby alienating Zanchi and his mentor.
- Even here, the majority favoring random violence and bloodshed as means of Lutheranizing the world is within the poll's margin of error.
- The other is the Lutheranized doctrine of justification by faith.
Definition of Lutheran in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.