verb[with object] Medicine
- The hind-leg problems that trouble Boston terriers are known as luxating patella, a dislocation of the small, flat, moveable bone at the front of the knee.
- Any luxated tooth that interferes with normal occlusion requires immediate dental evaluation and treatment to avoid pain and further complications.
- The patella can become luxated, or dislocated, either as a result of trauma or because of a congenital malformation of the leg.
- Example sentences
- Teeth subject to intrusive luxation have been intruded into the alveolar bone, which may occur to the point that the teeth are not visible.
- Teeth subject to lateral or extrusive luxation have been displaced and are loose.
- Among them are patellar luxation (a slipped or dislocated knee joint), spinal cord problems and hydrocephalus.
Early 17th century: from Latin luxat- 'dislocated', from the verb luxare, from luxus 'out of joint'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of luxate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.