- A red carotenoid pigment present in tomatoes and many berries and fruits.More example sentences
- Tomatoes provide two valuable phytochemicals: the carotenoid lycopene and the flavonoid quercetin.
- Companies don't usually test for phytochemicals like lutein or lycopene because they're not yet considered nutrients.
- Another carotenoid with potential is lycopene, which is present in tomatoes.
1930s: from the variant lycopin (from modern Latin Lycopersicon, a genus name including the tomato) + -ene.
More definitions of lycopeneDefinition of lycopene in:
- The British & World English dictionary