- A strongly alkaline solution, especially of potassium hydroxide, used for washing or cleansing.More example sentences
- Sodium hydroxide, NaOH, also known as lye and caustic soda, is one of the most important of all industrial chemicals.
- For example, sodium oxide dissolved in water yields sodium hydroxide, or lye.
- To make the Biodiesel, we heated the oil, then mixed in a measured solution of methanol and lye.
Old English lēag, of Germanic origin: related to Dutch loog, German Lauge, also to lather.
More definitions of lyeDefinition of lye in:
- The British & World English dictionary