Definition of Lyme disease in English:
An inflammatory disease characterized at first by a rash, headache, fever, and chills, and later by possible arthritis and neurological and cardiac disorders, caused by bacteria that are transmitted by ticks.
- Lyme disease is caused by the spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi
- Meningitis can also be a feature of other diseases, including Lyme disease, Leptospirosis, Typhus, Tuberculosis and other infections.
- Some ticks transmit bacteria that cause illnesses such as Lyme disease or Rocky Mountain spotted fever.
- It is often idiopathic in origin, but may be associated with multiple sclerosis, sarcoidosis, syphilis, Lyme disease, and ocular lymphoma.
1970s: named after Lyme, Connecticut, where an outbreak occurred.
Definition of Lyme disease in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.