1 Physiology A colorless fluid containing white blood cells, that bathes the tissues and drains through the lymphatic system into the bloodstream.
- This includes cell salts, fatty tissue, lymph, red and white blood cells, two glands of the endocrine system and even the bones.
- The lymphatic system is a network of very fine vessels or tubes called lymphatics that drain lymph from all over the body.
- This injection also identifies the lymphatic basins, nodal areas, and respective lymph draining sites that are considered to be at risk for metastases.
1.1Fluid exuding from a sore or inflamed tissue.
- He did not know the specific infective agent but was certain that a treatment would soon be available in the form of a ‘vaccine of Pasteur or lymph of Koch.’
- Legs become scaly, swollen, and exude lymph fluid.
- In 1798, the British physician Edward Jenner used a milkmaid's lymph containing cowpox virus to vaccinate a child.
2 literary Pure water.
- I refreshed myself in the mid-day heat by drinking its pure lymph from the hollow of my hand, and gazed with long and insatiable delight upon the memorable fountain.
- Example sentences
- He had been ill for a year with lymphous sarcoma.
- In lymphous urine I found filarias at all hours when the urine was emitted.
- They contain a thin lymphous fluid, and are found in the healthy ovaria of every young woman.
Words that rhyme with lymphnymph
Definition of lymph in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.