Definition of lysergic acid in English:
A crystalline compound prepared from natural ergot alkaloids or synthetically, from which the drug LSD ( lysergic acid diethylamide) can be made.
- A tetracyclic acid; chemical formula: C16H16N2O2
- Club drugs are favored over other recreational drugs, such as marijuana, lysergic acid diethylamide, methamphetamine, and opiates, because they are believed to enhance social interaction.
- A synthetic variation of this compound called lysergic acid diethylamide is a powerful hallucinogen called LSD.
- In 1943, the drug lysergic acid diethylamide was synthesized by a Swiss chemist.
1930s: lysergic from (hydro)lys(is) + erg(ot) + -ic.
Definition of lysergic acid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.