- 1 Biology The disintegration of a cell by rupture of the cell wall or membrane.More example sentences
- Inhibition of cell wall synthesis by penicillin resulted in disruption of the cell wall and lysis of the cell.
- Presumably, the shock treatments that elicit bursting disrupt the balance of wall synthesis and lysis responsible for cell wall extension.
- Apparently cinnamaldehyde blocks mitochondrial respiration and causes lysis of cultured liver cells.
- 2The gradual decline of disease symptoms.More example sentences
- Samples for alkaline elution were kept in ice during irradiation and successive treatments until the lysis step.
- Hemoglobin measurements at timed intervals, used previously, are somewhat cumbersome and produce a relatively small number of measurements during a lysis time course.
early 19th century: from Latin, from Greek lusis 'loosening', from luein 'loosen'.
More definitions of lysisDefinition of lysis in:
- The British & World English dictionary