noun(also macaque monkey)
A medium-sized, chiefly forest-dwelling Old World monkey that has a long face and cheek pouches for holding food.
- Genus Macaca, family Cercopithecidae: several species, including the rhesus monkey and the Barbary ape
More example sentences
- A lot more is known about cercopithecines, such as macaques, baboons and vervets, because many of them are ground-dwelling monkeys which are relatively easy to study.
- Those species were chimpanzee, gorilla, orangutan, gibbon, macaque and owl monkey.
- Primate species are gibbons, langurs, lorises and macaques.
Definition of macaque in:
- The British & World English dictionary