- Like a typical macho guy, he views his exile in Gayville not as a sign he might have some thinking to do, but as an educational experience that's made him a better lover to women.
- He behaved differently around other men in general and found himself slipping into a much more aggressive and macho posture in everyday life.
- The film also does an amiable job of revealing the ‘soul surfer’ culture behind these wave daredevils - even the overly macho dialogue seems natural in this context.
noun (plural machos)
- In the rest of Mexico, coquettish gay extroverts like these would be hounded out of town by the local machos: there would be shouts of ‘putos’ or ‘jotos’ (poofs, faggots), cat-whistles, the odd missile.
- ‘The maquiladoras were fed by thousands of young women who, in exchange for a salary, were abandoning traditional roles - and the machos reacted,’ the columnist said.
- For death - with which they all flirted, the matadors, the duelling machos, the fortune tellers - is now getting down to business.
- The immense power of the trade unions was often ego and macho driven, and on many occasions that power was wielded mercilessly for short-term gain.
- Pride and passion, macho and vulnerability, competitiveness and exhaustion all intermingle on the stage.
- Fragile and very limited democracy wants to pass for macho.
1920s: Mexican Spanish, 'masculine or vigorous', from Latin masculus.
When Mexicans described a man as macho, it was usually to compliment him on his vigour and virility. But when English-speaking Americans adopted the word from Mexican Spanish in the 1920s it acquired overtones of ‘masculine in an overly assertive or aggressive way’. The Spanish word macho derives from Latin masculus ‘male’, the source of masculine (Middle English). Machismo, also from Mexican Spanish and based on macho, dates from the 1940s.
Words that rhyme with machogazpacho
1990s: acronym from Massive (Astrophysical) Compact Halo Object.
Definition of macho in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.