Definition of macroevolution in English:
Major evolutionary change. The term applies mainly to the evolution of whole taxonomic groups over long periods of time.
- The next generation of advances in macroevolution and evolutionary paleoecology will not occur until a well-tested phylogenetic classification is established.
- Creationists are usually more careful about distinguishing between microevolution and macroevolution at this point.
- The creation science folks accept microevolution but not macroevolution.
- Example sentences
- Thus, adaptation-oriented studies of characters have expanded from microevolutionary studies of function and fitness to include macroevolutionary studies of phylogenetic patterns.
- The association between environmental changes and biogeographic and macroevolutionary changes is potentially an important area of paleontological research.
- Despite these findings, one would think that natural selection could produce macroevolutionary changes in bristle number without the inevitable derangement of either ribosome production or the PNS.
Pronunciation: /-SHəˌnerē/ /-ˌēvə-/adjective
Definition of macroevolution in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.