- A plant, especially an aquatic plant, large enough to be seen by the naked eye.More example sentences
- The distribution of aquatic macrophytes in shallow lakes is related in various ways to the physical characteristics of the lakes and their bottom sediments.
- The sewage lagoons provided a very localized but relatively species-rich ecosystem, which acted as a cutrophic oasis of algae and aquatic macrophytes and benefited birds at several trophic levels.
- Sessile aquatic macrophytes, however, cannot maintain the same well-defined three-dimensional structure because of the strong drag and shear forces of moving water.
More definitions of macrophyteDefinition of macrophyte in:
- The British & World English dictionary