Definition of macruran in English:
Of, relating to, or denoting those decapod crustaceans (such as lobsters and crayfish) that have a relatively long abdomen.
- Although groove patterns are less common in phyllocarids than they are in the macruran decapod crustaceans, several genera do exhibit distinctive groove patterns.
- Remy and Avnimelech described a lobster-like macruran decapod, which has subsequently been referred to the Stomatopoda Latreille, 1817, the mantis-shrimps.
- The macruran and brachyuran decapods, which are not as dependent on swimming, and therefore are less concerned with body drag, do not engage in general body grooming, with few exceptions.
- Example sentences
- For example, it has a reptant macrurous condition and, contradicting early hypotheses, the legs of this animal are differentiated, some being chelate, while others are achelate.
- Elongated invertebrate animals which effect quick muscular contractions, either as a means of rapid withdrawal and escape like some Annelida and Enteropneusta, or for the purpose of making sudden darts through the water like the macrurous Crustacea and the squids and cuttlefishes, have been shown to possess giant nerve cells and fibres.
Definition of macruran in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.