- A perforated plate by which the entry of seawater into the vascular system of an echinoderm is controlled.More example sentences
- One of the genital plates serves as the sieve plate, or madreporite, for the water vascular system.
- The water vascular system of the sea stars open up at the madreporite, a perforated opening in the central part of the animal.
- Virtually all extraxial body wall in asteroids is of the perforate variety, since it includes body openings such as papular pores, hydropores in the madreporite, gonopores, and the anus.
More definitions of madreporiteDefinition of madreporite in:
- The British & World English dictionary