Definition of madtom in English:
A small North American freshwater catfish that has a venom gland at the base of the pectoral fin spines, with which it can inflict a painful wound.
- Genus Noturus, family Ictaluridae: numerous species, including the common tadpole madtom (N. gyrinus)
- Most of the species in this family are the small, stream-dwelling madtoms, which are relatively rare in the Northeast where Ameiurus and Ictalurus are more common.
- The pygmy madtom is one of the rarest fishes in North America; only about 50 specimens have ever been collected.
- The slabrocks were also being used by several other darter species, as well as madtoms.
Definition of madtom in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan