- Together they stood in the foretops and conned the ship in through the seething maelstrom of the equatorial current.
- One lugworm and a thin strip of squid will not get very far in a seething maelstrom of a sea where the tide is screaming through and you have other anglers all around you.
- He didn't fight, didn't even scream as the icy water flooded in and he was sucked down into the maelstrom.
- My home usually seemed more like a maelstrom of chaos and disorder.
- Now, astronomers have found further evidence that Centaurus A is a maelstrom of violence.
- Different colors of mana spun and swirled in a maelstrom of colorful fury.
Late 17th century: from early modern Dutch (denoting a mythical whirlpool supposed to exist in the Arctic Ocean, west of Norway), from maalen 'grind, whirl' + stroom 'stream'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.