Definition of magic eye in English:
1 informal A photoelectric cell or similar electrical device used for identification, detection, or measurement.
- With today's auto-focus cameras, the magic eye will focus on the centre of the picture, not at the intersection of thirds.
- Try this exercise this weekend and you may be amazed at how often your camera's magic eyes seem to be closed!
- The depth of field in macro is very shallow, so note where the camera magic eye is indicating the focus point is, relative to the subject, before slowly pressing the shutter release.
2A small cathode ray tube in some radio receivers that displays a pattern that enables the radio to be accurately tuned.
- Although fine for adjusting broadcast stations, the Magic Eye was not useful for tuning weak signals in a crowded band.
- I've forgotten how many radios I repaired and enjoyed, but my favourites all had Magic Eyes.
Definition of magic eye in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.