(also magical realism)
Definition of magic realism in English:
A literary or artistic genre in which realistic narrative and naturalistic technique are combined with surreal elements of dream or fantasy.
- In her new collection of short fiction titled Engum Vaanam, she has introduced a number of narrative techniques that range from fantasy to magical realism.
- I'm really interested to know how you deal with incorporating surrealism or magical realism into your stories.
- His principal mode is literary realism, though his second novel invokes the magic realism of a Toni Morrison work in its portrait of Roscoe's father's ghost.
magic realist noun
- Example sentences
- Stylistically, Pycletius is judged an early magic realist, with tributes to his work by Calvino, Emile dell'Ova, and Borges.
- Think of it as something like a cross between a fairy tale and a magic realist novel.
- The truth about Carroll is that he's a magic realist who plunders our unconscious for profound emotional truths.
Definition of magic realism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan