Definition of magnanimous in English:
Very generous or forgiving, especially toward a rival or someone less powerful than oneself.
- More importantly, the ode implies that Henri is generous and magnanimous.
- She decided that, in light of the news she was going to share, she could be magnanimous and forgive Aria.
- It should be realised that without their good will and magnanimous gesture, such a major project as this could not go ahead.
- Example sentences
- Interestingly, the youngsters have handled highbrow ostracism magnanimously, countering it with open arms and inclusiveness.
- Petrova had no complaints about the final result, as she magnanimously admitted that she had been beaten by a better player on the day.
- He gestures silently, magnanimously to his guests, making a great show of his joy at their attendance.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India