- 1A piece of iron (or an ore, alloy, or other material) that has its component atoms so ordered that the material exhibits properties of magnetism, such as attracting other iron-containing objects or aligning itself in an external magnetic field.More example sentences
- Ferroelectric materials can create an electric field the way iron magnets create a magnetic field.
- Understanding more complex substances is the key to designing materials for stronger magnets in order to build more efficient and powerful electrical generators and motors.
- Iron, cobalt and nickel are the best known metallic magnets, and their magnetic properties are governed by the conduction electrons that are free to move throughout the metal.
- 1.1 archaic term for lodestone.
- 1.2A person or thing that has a powerful attraction: the beautiful stretch of white sand is a magnet for sun worshipersMore example sentences
attraction, focus, draw, lure, mecca
- Mansion House was a magnet for the powerful, both native and foreign.
- The Italian city of marble and water is a magnet for art-lovers, but culture is not the only attraction.
- Over the last few years the Manx isle has become a magnet for top movie producers, who are lured by a variety of landscapes in a compact area and by the financial incentives laid on by the Isle of Man Film Commission.
late Middle English (denoting a lodestone): from Latin magnes, magnet-, from Greek magnēs lithos 'lodestone', probably influenced by Anglo-Norman French magnete (from Latin magnes, magnet-).