- A tree or shrub with large, typically creamy-pink, waxy flowers. Magnolias are widely grown as ornamental trees.
More example sentences
- Genus Magnolia, family Magnoliaceae: numerous species, including M. campbellii, native to the Himalayas and from which several varieties have been cultivated in North America
- The crocuses and daffodils have come and gone, the magnolias and cherry trees are in bloom.
- There's a natural coherence and spacing about the twisted elder trees, the large magnolias currently flowering in a pale pink, and the squirrels darting, students and ducks ambling among them.
- Lightly prune young magnolias after they flower to encourage a pyramidal shape.
modern Latin, named after Pierre Magnol (1638–1715), French botanist.
More definitions of magnoliaDefinition of magnolia in:
- The British & World English dictionary