A large continuous extent of land that includes the greater part of a country or territory, as opposed to offshore islands and detached territories.
More example sentences
- For the same reasons sanctuaries were sited at the tip of capes or peninsulas or on an island close to the mainland.
- This was a deeply formative experience, dividing the fate of the island from the mainland.
- It seemed the wind was so strong the island would be blown crashing into the shores of the mainland.
- More example sentences
- The rise in retail activity was based on an increase from both the influx of mainlanders as well as domestic spending.
- Newly affluent mainlanders are snapping up everything from Philippine pineapples to Japanese sedans.
- Hakka make up approximately 1.7 percent, while mainlanders make up about 15 percent of Taiwan's population.