A large continuous extent of land that includes the greater part of a country or territory, as opposed to offshore islands and detached territories.
- For the same reasons sanctuaries were sited at the tip of capes or peninsulas or on an island close to the mainland.
- This was a deeply formative experience, dividing the fate of the island from the mainland.
- It seemed the wind was so strong the island would be blown crashing into the shores of the mainland.
- Example sentences
- The rise in retail activity was based on an increase from both the influx of mainlanders as well as domestic spending.
- Newly affluent mainlanders are snapping up everything from Philippine pineapples to Japanese sedans.
- Hakka make up approximately 1.7 percent, while mainlanders make up about 15 percent of Taiwan's population.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan