Definition of mainspring in English:
1The principal spring in a watch, clock, or other mechanism.
- You are rotating and moving the loaded cylinder forward as well as extending the breech block while compressing the mainspring and cylinder hushing spring.
- Also, the gear train of a mechanical watch is under constant load from the mainspring whereas the gear train in a quartz watch is not under any load.
- If we were told that there was a watch without a mainspring, we would hardly be reassured by the further information that it had, however, an infinite train of gear-wheels.
2Something that plays a principal part in motivating or maintaining a movement, process, or activity: innovation is the mainspring of the new economy
More example sentences
- The vital mainspring in this process is the party, just as the vital mainspring in the mechanism of the party is its leadership.
- In short, cybercash is viewed as the mainspring in the emergence of ‘virtual capitalism’
- Envy and greed were the mainsprings of their creativity; it would have been more accurate if some of them had been called the Envious Young Men.
Words that rhyme with mainspringtime-sharing • keyring
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan