Definition of maintenance in English:
1The process of maintaining or preserving someone or something, or the state of being maintained: crucial conditions for the maintenance of democratic government
More example sentences
- Elitism, on the contrary, is the denigration of art and its consequent maintenance as the preserve of an affluent and educated minority.
- Besides, there are other issues such as planning, execution, maintenance and preservation of greenery in Chennai.
- People must know that they all can have a say in the preservation and maintenance of this way of life.
1.1The process of keeping something in good condition: car maintenance [as modifier]: essential maintenance work
More example sentences
- The appeal was launched 18 months ago and aims to fund essential maintenance work and the development of the Cathedral.
- I believe that the ‘well meaning’ owner Mr Talbot has said it is for the purposes of ‘essential maintenance work’.
- Bradford Council's head of highways John Blackburn, apologised for any inconvenience during the essential maintenance work.
2The provision of financial support for a person’s living expenses, or the support so provided.
- An estimated 34% of new entrants benefited from some form of means-tested financial maintenance support.
- Try and sort out the financial position: maintenance, pensions, inheritance.
- By law he is obliged to, and does, contribute financially to their maintenance.
2.1Alimony or child support.
- English maintenance or alimony decrees can be lifelong.
- The most likely scenario would then be that the woman would be thrown out the house, left to her meager or nil resources to file claims for maintenance, alimony or custody of her children.
- It appears that the rules for alimony and maintenance support are the same as between heterosexual married couples, according to Byrne.
3 Law , historical The former offense of aiding a party in a legal action without lawful cause.
- That is why I referred to barratry and the old common law rules about maintenance and champerty.
- Consett Iron, which was a decision before criminal and tortious liability for maintenance and champerty were abolished by the Criminal Law Act 1967.
- His actions have a whiff of the old offence of maintenance and champerty, meddling in another's law suit for his own advantage.
Words that rhyme with maintenanceabstinence
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan