1Large lettering, either capital or uncial, in which all the letters are usually the same height.
- Upper and lower case come from typesetting (the letters were kept in two cases, majuscule letters were kept in the upper case, the others in the lower case.
- The majuscule letter V symbolizes a daughter of the Mother Goddess or the Mother Goddess as a virgin.
- It was an angular majuscule script, often written without breaks between words or with words separated by dots.
1.1A large letter.
- The written and printed form of English has two interlocking systems of letters: large letters, known variously as capitals, upper-case letters, majuscules, and small letters, or lower-case letters, minuscules.
- In one hand he holds an open book and with an prodigious index finger points to the victim with words in red Roman majuscules against the night sky.
- It was more a matter of the development of a more mature pattern that was no longer a capital script but one that consisted of hybrid majuscules organized as a graphic system.
- Example sentences
- They bring sheaves of reeds exceeding their own height, balanced like the cross-stroke of a majuscular T on their heads.
- Likewise, we can find proof from the very beginning Marulic used majuscular e caudata, which regularly disappeared without trace in the print.
Early 18th century: from French, from Latin majuscula (littera) 'somewhat greater (letter)'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of majuscule in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.