Definition of malacostracan in English:
A crustacean of the large class Malacostraca, such as a crab, shrimp, or lobster.
- Malacostracans exhibit the hard, calcified exoskeleton typical of crustaceans.
- Malacostracans play such an important role in aquatic ecosystems that their conservation is an important issue.
- Shifts between aquatic and terrestrial habitats were likely promoted by the availability of malacostracans in both terrestrial and aquatic habitats.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting malacostracans.
- In a study of 47 species of malacostracan arthropods, Becker found that most of the taxa were not heavily fouled.
- Classical eyestalk ablation experiments have demonstrated that malacostracan reproduction is under sinus gland control.
- Therefore, the homology of entomostracan and malacostracan neuronal stem cells remains uncertain.
Definition of malacostracan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan