(also malaguetta pepper)
- another term for grains of paradise.More example sentences
- The area had been known as the Grain Coast, in reference to the malagueta pepper that was the primary export.
- Copper, horses, and cloth were also traded for gold, malagueta pepper, carved ivory, and ebony.
- The Portugese came for the malaguetta pepper, the English for the grain and the Dutch to buy gold.
mid 16th century: probably from French malaguette, perhaps based on a diminutive of Italian melica 'millet'.
More definitions of malaguettaDefinition of malaguetta in:
- The British & World English dictionary