Having or showing a wish to do evil to others: the glint of dark, malevolent eyes some malevolent force of nature
More example sentences
- She had become this all pervading, evil and malevolent influence on my family and life.
- That evil is malevolent violence, a curse that is the bane of our human existence.
- Even more than the words in the previous paragraph, it suggests an evil, malevolent intelligence at work.
malicious, hostile, evil-minded, baleful, evil-intentioned, venomous, evil, malign, malignant, rancorous, vicious, vindictive, vengeful
literary malefic, maleficent
- Example sentences
- Whether malevolently or unwittingly, many leases include improper sections into their leases that are not in accordance with the law.
- He limped up and down the boards, eyeing the audience malevolently past a particularly ugly prosthetic nose.
- His solo is rich, maximal and far from introverted; he sounds almost malevolently focused.
Early 16th century: from Latin malevolent- 'wishing evil', from male 'ill' + volent- 'wishing' (from the verb velle).
Words that rhyme with malevolentbenevolent, prevalent
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.