Definition of malic acid in English:
A crystalline acid present in unripe apples and other fruits.
- The mixture of fruit acids may include citric acid, glycollic acid, lactic acid, malic acid and tartaric acid.
- And the tangy apple flavour found in most Chardonnays comes primarily from malic acid, the tart acid found in apples.
- In some species, there may be oscillations of citric acid in addition to malic acid.
- Example sentences
- Before addition of malate, the normalized fluorescence intensity was 1.21 in the absence of ADP.
- At first, we measured the frequencies of the rapid depolarizations in the presence of 0.2, 1, or 5 mM malate.
- Instead of malate, elevated zeaxanthin levels within the chloroplast may modulate guard cell CO2-sensitivity in the light.
Pronunciation: /ˈmalˌāt, ˈmāˌlāt/noun
Definition of malic acid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan