Definition of mambo in English:
noun (plural mambos)
1A Latin American dance similar in rhythm to the rumba.
- For the mambo, cha-cha, merengue, and the traditional rhythmic dance the son, each dancer moved vigorously yet effortlessly, even as the tempo changed.
- Along the way, she sees some musicians playing while the neighbourhood churns with the mambos and rumbas she learned from her parents.
- But while dancing the mambo in a fruit headdress, this art history major secretly desired to emulate Elsie de Wolfe, the influential society decorator.
2A voodoo priestess.
- These gods are not only expected to protect people, but they are also expected to accord special favors through their representatives on earth which are the mambos.
- Two autobiographical carvings depict his belief that a mambo had cursed him by placing snakes in his belly.
- She returned in 1936, having passed rigorous initiation rites to become a mambo.