Definition of manakin in English:
A small tropical American bird with a large head and small bill, the male of which is typically brightly colored. Compare with mannikin.
- Family Pipridae (or Cotingidae, Tyrannidae): several genera and many species
- Male golden-collared manakins clear leaf litter from the ground to form courts, which they then use as arenas for intense courtship displays.
- The film captures monkeys in the Nariva wetlands, golden tree frogs housed in bromeliad plants and blue-backed manakins in Tobago.
- Restricted foraging time due to inclement weather and the resultant decrease in food intake is believed to influence hypothermia in manakins and may induce torpor in hummingbirds.
Definition of manakin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan