- An aquatic mammal with a rounded tail flipper, living in shallow coastal waters and adjacent rivers of the tropical Atlantic.
More example sentences
- Family Trichechidae and genus Trichechus: three species, all of which are endangered, including the West Indian manatee (T. manatus)
- Native animals range from the jaguar and howler monkey to the manatee, and there are more than 290 species of birds.
- There are three species of manatees, including the West Indian manatee.
- They provide food and shelter for thousands of species, including endangered manatees, dugongs and sea turtles.
mid 16th century: from Spanish manati, from Carib manáti.
More definitions of manateeDefinition of manatee in:
- The British & World English dictionary