Definition of mane in English:
1A growth of long hair on the neck of a horse, lion, or other animal.
- Male lions develop thick woolly manes on the neck and shoulders, signifying maturity.
- Most species have a mane on the neck and a lock of hair on the forepart of the head known as a forelock.
- A lion with a majestic mane has long been a trophy coveted by big game hunters in Africa.
1.1A person’s long or thick hair: he had a mane of white hair
More example sentences
- She was a lovely, motherly old lady with a mane of white hair wound into a compact bun.
- It was particularly agonising for Michael, who had spent months growing his flowing mane.
- The man was a giant, with a large flowing mane of jet black hair and a beard to match.
- Example sentences
- In 1898 a pair of maneless male lions purportedly killed and ate some 135 people during a nine-month rampage near Kenya's Tsavo River.
- We will never know why these talented artists chose to portray these particular scenes or how they got so close to the maneless, pride-dwelling lions.
- His team helped gather research data on the maneless lions of Tsavo National Park in Kenya.
Definition of mane in:
- British & World English dictionary