Definition of mane in English:
1A growth of long hair on the neck of a horse, lion, or other animal.
- Male lions develop thick woolly manes on the neck and shoulders, signifying maturity.
- Most species have a mane on the neck and a lock of hair on the forepart of the head known as a forelock.
- A lion with a majestic mane has long been a trophy coveted by big game hunters in Africa.
1.1A person’s long or thick hair: he had a mane of white hair
More example sentences
- She was a lovely, motherly old lady with a mane of white hair wound into a compact bun.
- It was particularly agonising for Michael, who had spent months growing his flowing mane.
- The man was a giant, with a large flowing mane of jet black hair and a beard to match.
- Example sentences
- In 1898 a pair of maneless male lions purportedly killed and ate some 135 people during a nine-month rampage near Kenya's Tsavo River.
- We will never know why these talented artists chose to portray these particular scenes or how they got so close to the maneless, pride-dwelling lions.
- His team helped gather research data on the maneless lions of Tsavo National Park in Kenya.
Definition of mane in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan