Definition of mangel in English:
A beet of a variety with a large root, cultivated as feed for livestock.
- Beta vulgaris subsp. crassa, family Chenopodiaceae
- A couple of the beds will be given more attention, and fennel, mangels and sprouting broccoli sown in them.
- I'm late sowing runner beans, fennel and mangels (for Smokey and the pigs) but all will go in tomorrow.
- Cattle farming required a more intensive cultivation of fodder crops such as maize, potatoes, turnips, and mangels.
Mid 19th century: from German Mangoldwurzel, from Mangold 'beet' + Wurzel 'root'.
Words that rhyme with mangelangle, bangle, bespangle, dangle, entangle, fandangle, jangle, mangle, spangle, strangle, tangle, wangle, wide-angle, wrangle
Definition of mangel in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.