- 1A tropical fruit with sweet juicy white segments of flesh inside a thick reddish-brown rind.More example sentences
- The Thai fruits which are most popular include durians, mangosteens, rambutans, and longans.
- The flavour of the usual mangosteen would be overwhelmed by this treatment.
- All that money I save by not buying mangosteens will go to my travel fund.
- 2The slow-growing Malaysian tree that bears the mangosteen fruit.
More example sentences
- Garcinia mangostana, family Guttiferae
- I was particularly struck by the tentacle-like roots of the waterberry, the arms of the baobab and the leaves of the mangosteen.
late 16th century: from Malay manggustan, dialect variant of manggis.
More definitions of mangosteenDefinition of mangosteen in:
- The British & World English dictionary