1A tropical fruit with sweet juicy white segments of flesh inside a thick reddish-brown rind.
- The Thai fruits which are most popular include durians, mangosteens, rambutans, and longans.
- The flavour of the usual mangosteen would be overwhelmed by this treatment.
- All that money I save by not buying mangosteens will go to my travel fund.
2The slow-growing Malaysian tree that bears the mangosteen fruit.
- Garcinia mangostana, family Guttiferae.
- I was particularly struck by the tentacle-like roots of the waterberry, the arms of the baobab and the leaves of the mangosteen.
Late 16th century: from Malay manggustan, dialect variant of manggis.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of mangosteen in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.