Definition of manicure in English:
A cosmetic treatment of the hands involving cutting, shaping, and often painting of the nails, removal of the cuticles, and softening of the skin.
- Nail salons offering manicures and pedicures are also quick and have the added benefit of improving your appearance.
- The shop specialises in manicures, pedicures and nail extensions, and technicians will design whatever style you want on your nails.
- Cintech offers nail technology services, which include manicures, pedicures, spa treatments and paraffin.
verb[with object] Back to top
1Give a manicure to.
- She tapped her perfectly manicured fingernails on the granite tabletop impatiently.
- Some women would feel naked without color on perfectly manicured fingernails.
- Sophia came up to her, brushing her long manicured fingernails against her cheek.
1.1 (usually as adjective manicured) Trim neatly: manicured lawns
More example sentences
- There prosperous new managers live in gracious homes with neatly manicured gardens.
- This is laid out over two levels and has a manicured lawn with herbaceous borders and a patio area with Indian limestone tiling.
- The back garden is 80 feet long, with a manicured lawn with floral borders and a patio that can be accessed from the kitchen.
Late 19th century: from French, from Latin manus 'hand' + cura 'care'.
Definition of manicure in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.