Definition of mansard in English:
noun(also mansard roof)
1A roof that has four sloping sides, each of which becomes steeper halfway down.
- On the ground floor of the entrance facade, a shallow porch with four columns links the two bay windows, and a steep mansard roof with dormer windows is crowned by a grand octagonal cupola.
- These include the mansard roof, cornicing and wrought ironwork to the 1853 facade.
- In 1917 a later owner added a Chinese Chippendale porch with a Shanghai mansard roof.
1.1A story or apartment under a mansard roof.
- Some workers had found her dead in her tiny mansard apartment.
1.2British another term for gambrel.
Mid 18th century: from French mansarde, named after F. Mansart (see Mansart, François).
Words that rhyme with mansardHansard
Definition of mansard in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.