Definition of mansion in English:
1A large, impressive house.
- Simple shotgun houses to magnificent mansions will be showcased in this exhibition detailing New Orlean's vivid architectural past.
- I remember passing by houses, and semi mansions with their own botanical gardens and Olympic coliseums.
- Spanish colonial mansions, cathedrals, churches, and houses adorn the streets of both cities.
1.2 [in names] British A large building divided into apartments: Carlyle Mansions
More example sentences
- The centre will be developed at Home Farm, next to St Ives mansion, and work is expected to begin in the next few weeks.
- It was used to send water from a spring near Haynes mansion into the roof of the building before it was dismantled and brought to Bedford.
- Developers have come under fire as it became clear that an empty Ulverston mansion has become a vandals' playground.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan