- 1A structure of wood, marble, or stone above and around a fireplace.More example sentences
- The drawing room overlooks the front garden and features an original fireplace with a marble mantlepiece and cast iron inset.
- The attic space in each house is illuminated by three fitted Velux windows and there are limestone fireplaces and marble mantelpieces throughout.
- Olivia leans against the marble mantelpiece, above which once hung a huge painting of herself.
- 1.1A mantelshelf.More example sentences
- The mantelpiece above the fireplace was mahogany, and a ruby figurine of a dancing girl stood at one end, the amethyst twin at the other.
- Family mementos and photographs were carefully spaced along the mantelpiece above a gas fireplace.
- The exhibition will see tables, fireplaces and mantelpieces overflow with more than 40 arrangements inspired by original horticultural designs.
More definitions of mantelpieceDefinition of mantelpiece in:
- The British & World English dictionary