Definition of mantelpiece in English:
1A structure of wood, marble, or stone above and around a fireplace.
- The drawing room overlooks the front garden and features an original fireplace with a marble mantlepiece and cast iron inset.
- The attic space in each house is illuminated by three fitted Velux windows and there are limestone fireplaces and marble mantelpieces throughout.
- Olivia leans against the marble mantelpiece, above which once hung a huge painting of herself.
- The mantelpiece above the fireplace was mahogany, and a ruby figurine of a dancing girl stood at one end, the amethyst twin at the other.
- Family mementos and photographs were carefully spaced along the mantelpiece above a gas fireplace.
- The exhibition will see tables, fireplaces and mantelpieces overflow with more than 40 arrangements inspired by original horticultural designs.
Definition of mantelpiece in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan