Definition of manzanita in English:
An evergreen dwarf shrub related to the bearberry, native to California.
- Genus Arctostaphylos, family Ericaceae: several species, in particular A. manzanita
- Drought-tolerant shrubs range from manzanita, cotoneaster and rockrose to toyon, huckleberry and other varieties of ceanothus.
- Farther upland, usually between 3,000 and 5,000 feet, is chaparral, where scrub oaks, manzanitas, and various other shrubs join cacti and yuccas.
- Cheatgrass, sagebrush, manzanita, and ponderosa pine are all part of the volatile ground fuels mix that surrounds the fast-growing city.
Mid 19th century: from Spanish, diminutive of manzana 'apple'.
Definition of manzanita in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.