- A factory in Mexico run by a foreign company and exporting its products to the country of that company.More example sentences
- These days the fishing boats are beached and the Indians and Mexican residents are in grinding poverty, forced to work multiple jobs in distant tortilla factories, maquiladoras, and wheat fields.
- Under both Mexican law and the binational 1983 La Paz agreement, waste generated by the 3200 maquiladoras in Mexico must be shipped back to the country where the legal owner is based.
- Mexico's much-vaunted maquiladoras are shutting their doors, as companies flee for China and other still cheaper labor markets.
Mexican Spanish, from maquilar 'assemble'.
More definitions of maquiladoraDefinition of maquiladora in:
- The British & World English dictionary