Definition of maranta in English:
1A tropical American plant of a genus that includes the prayer plant and the arrowroot.
- Genus Maranta, family Marantaceae
- Officially known as marantas, prayer plants are so called because the leaves of some species fold upwards, as if in supplication to the gods.
- Scheffleras and marantas also revel in warmer, humid conditions.
- The maranta and calathea are other such plants.
modern Latin, named after Bartollomeo Maranta, 16th-century Italian herbalist.
Definition of maranta in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan