Definition of maranta in English:
1A tropical American plant of a genus that includes the prayer plant and the arrowroot.
- Genus Maranta, family Marantaceae
- Officially known as marantas, prayer plants are so called because the leaves of some species fold upwards, as if in supplication to the gods.
- Scheffleras and marantas also revel in warmer, humid conditions.
- The maranta and calathea are other such plants.
Modern Latin, named after Bartollomeo Maranta, 16th-century Italian herbalist.
Definition of maranta in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.