Definition of marasmus in English:
Severe undernourishment causing an infant’s or child’s weight to be significantly low for their age (e.g., below 60 percent of normal).
- Clinical impression of wasting of musculature of the limbs, but not severe enough to describe the child as suffering from marasmus was classified as emaciation.
- Patients with marasmus present with severe weight loss and wasting of both muscle and adipose tissue.
- Prevalence of clinical protein energy malnutrition in the form of marasmus was found in 6 children, while Kwashiorkor was not recorded.
- Example sentences
- Most patients continued to lose weight, and marasmic malnutrition continued despite the provision of adequate calories and protein through the feeding tube.
- The young woman was clearly visible from the consulting room window, her emaciated frame draped in the tattered remnants of a sari, with a marasmic toddler balanced on her hip.
- The child is apathetic and does not cry often, unlike the anxious marasmic child.
Definition of marasmus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.