- A butter substitute made from vegetable oils or animal fats.More example sentences
- Do not add butter, margarine or vegetable oils to baby foods or soft table foods.
- Shea butter in refined form has been used for margarine and as a substitute for cocoa butter.
- This is why it is added to foods such as bacon, smoked fish, canned vegetables, margarine, bread and savoury snacks.
late 19th century: from French, from Greek margaron 'pearl' (because of the luster of the crystals of margaric acid) + -ine4.
More definitions of margarineDefinition of margarine in:
- The British & World English dictionary