Definition of margate in English:
A deep-bodied grayish fish that typically occurs in small groups in warm waters of the western Atlantic.
- Two species in the family Pomadasyidae: Haemulon album, a large grunt that is an important food fish, and the mainly nocturnal black margate (Anisotremus surinamesis)
- The wrecks are home to a wide variety of corals and marine life including angelfish, barracudas, margates, sharks, snappers and turtles.
- In the W. Atlantic, the largest grunt is Haemulon album, the margate, greyish in general colour and an important food fish.
- Margates at Fernando de Noronha play a shadow game with divers
Mid 18th century: of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with margatetarget
Definition of margate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan