Definition of margate in English:
A deep-bodied grayish fish that typically occurs in small groups in warm waters of the western Atlantic.
- Two species in the family Pomadasyidae: Haemulon album, a large grunt that is an important food fish, and the mainly nocturnal black margate (Anisotremus surinamesis)
- The wrecks are home to a wide variety of corals and marine life including angelfish, barracudas, margates, sharks, snappers and turtles.
- In the W. Atlantic, the largest grunt is Haemulon album, the margate, greyish in general colour and an important food fish.
- Margates at Fernando de Noronha play a shadow game with divers
Mid 18th century: of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with margatetarget
Definition of margate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.