(also mariposa tulip)
Definition of mariposa lily in English:
A plant of the lily family, with brightly colored cup-shaped flowers, native to Mexico and the western US. Closely related to the sego.
- Genus Calochortus, family Liliaceae: several species
- Areas once graced by desert mariposa tulip, Rocky Mountain bee plant, prickly poppy and evening primrose were invaded by the hostile horehound.
- Other wildflowers interspersed among the grasses are tidy tips, red maids, Indian paintbrush, owl's clover, shooting-star, larkspur, golden star, mariposa lily, and johnny-jump-up.
- A stand of yellow mariposa lilies explodes below, while white Pieris butterflies flit just out of reach.
mid 19th century: mariposa from Spanish, literally 'butterfly'.
Definition of mariposa lily in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan