Definition of marker in English:
1An object used to indicate a position, place, or route: they erected a granite marker at the crash site [as modifier]: marker posts figurative the most portable marker of class privilege, the wearing of natural fibers
More example sentences
- The section start and end positions were indicated with marker posts on the side of the road plus a steel rod was driven into the pavement on the centre line.
- He put it to the defendant that the granite post was a marker for disputed property and the defendant had removed it in a bid to claim the property.
- Some of the coloured route markers are over-ruled by diversion signs.
1.1A thing serving as a standard of comparison or as an indication of what may be expected: such studies may provide a unique marker in the quest to understand the brain
More example sentences
- The courts have laid down a marker before the executive branch - they have staked out their procedural position.
- It might have ended in defeat but York City Knights laid down a marker for themselves yesterday with a performance full of pride, effort and ability.
- In Division Two, Old Crescent laid down a marker with a comprehensive victory over Midleton at Rosbrien on Saturday.
2A felt-tip pen with a broad tip.
- On last day of school you attempted to get me disqualified from my business exam by using a marker pen and writing on me
- The dossier was sent to newspapers, in one case with the 45-minute claim highlighted with a marker pen.
- A couple of minutes ago I picked up the marker pen sitting at the side of the mouse and start doodling on a business card that sits atop the keyboard - a legacy from yet another idea that seemed brilliant only days ago.
3(Chiefly in soccer) a player who is assigned to mark a particular opponent.
- On one occasion he picked up the ball, spun his marker, played a quick one-two, dashed clear… and put the ball wide.
- Yes, I really enjoyed the game, it was a great ball across the face of the box by Scott Murray and I just managed to get in front of my marker to slide the ball past Richard Wright.
- Vryzas muscles his marker off the ball after Russia fail to clear from a corner, and knocks the ball in from six yards.
Definition of marker in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan