1An object used to indicate a position, place, or route: they erected a granite marker at the crash site [as modifier]: marker posts figurative the most portable marker of class privilege, the wearing of natural fibers
More example sentences
- The section start and end positions were indicated with marker posts on the side of the road plus a steel rod was driven into the pavement on the centre line.
- He put it to the defendant that the granite post was a marker for disputed property and the defendant had removed it in a bid to claim the property.
- Some of the coloured route markers are over-ruled by diversion signs.
1.1A thing serving as a standard of comparison or as an indication of what may be expected: such studies may provide a unique marker in the quest to understand the brain
More example sentences
- The courts have laid down a marker before the executive branch - they have staked out their procedural position.
- It might have ended in defeat but York City Knights laid down a marker for themselves yesterday with a performance full of pride, effort and ability.
- In Division Two, Old Crescent laid down a marker with a comprehensive victory over Midleton at Rosbrien on Saturday.
2A felt-tip pen with a broad tip.
- On last day of school you attempted to get me disqualified from my business exam by using a marker pen and writing on me
- The dossier was sent to newspapers, in one case with the 45-minute claim highlighted with a marker pen.
- A couple of minutes ago I picked up the marker pen sitting at the side of the mouse and start doodling on a business card that sits atop the keyboard - a legacy from yet another idea that seemed brilliant only days ago.
3(Chiefly in soccer) a player who is assigned to mark a particular opponent.
- On one occasion he picked up the ball, spun his marker, played a quick one-two, dashed clear… and put the ball wide.
- Yes, I really enjoyed the game, it was a great ball across the face of the box by Scott Murray and I just managed to get in front of my marker to slide the ball past Richard Wright.
- Vryzas muscles his marker off the ball after Russia fail to clear from a corner, and knocks the ball in from six yards.
Words that rhyme with markerbarker, haka, Kabaka, Lusaka, moussaka, nosy parker, Oaxaca, Osaka, parka, Shaka, Zarqa
Definition of marker in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.