Definition of markhor in English:
A large wild goat with very long twisted horns, native to central Asia.
- Capra falconeri, family Bovidae
- One is shown hunting, and whereas its prey, the markhor or mountain goat, looks as craggy as the rocks it lives in, the snow leopard looks like an enormous kitten with butter-soft paws but with fantastic strength and lightning speed.
- The markhor goat of Afghanistan climbs trees as high as 25 feet to eat leaves from trees.
- Birmogh Lasht marks the fringes of Chitral Gol National Park, home to markhor, bears, wolves and a handful of elusive snow leopards.
mid 19th century: from Persian mār-ḵwār, from mār 'serpent' + ḵwār '-eating'.
Definition of markhor in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan